ARE Live: What to Know to Pass the ARE Online '21

Great to have additional resources for the updated format of the exam process. A little hesitant on the ease of the digital whiteboard, tried it a couple of times & did not find the current interface very easy to use.

1 Like

Your webcam must be a peripheral and able to rotate 360 degrees so the proctor can see all four corners of the room

1 Like

Thanks all for hosting today!

1 Like

Feels good to be back on track! (What are your personal ways of planning a night of studying?)

Hey Kiara, I would reach out to NCARB directly for this. You can schedule a 30 minute prep consultation that will check your systems against the testing guidelines. Check it out here: Prepare for Your Online ARE Appointment With a Test Run | NCARB - National Council of Architectural Registration Boards

2 Likes

Is the digital whiteboard the only option for writing notes? We’re not allowed scratch paper?

1 Like

hello, new to this community!

2 Likes

That’s correct, unfortunately :frowning:

1 Like

your virus protection may interfere with connecting with a proctor…I had a popup behind the Prometric screen that I couldn’t see because the Prometric window could not be reduced in size so I could see the popup.

I was disappointed to know that you would only be able to have ONE screen. I use a laptop as my computer, but would prefer to use a separate (larger) monitor, mouse and keyboard to take the test. Due to this limitation, I am planning on going to a Prometric facility…which I would rather not do.

Once I got started, it went smoothly. All my difficulties were encountered prior to the start. I am in agreement with most of what the guests are saying.

1 Like

I believe you ARE allowed to use an external monitor, as long as your laptop can remain closed. So, one screen only, but it can be the larger screen.

I had to unplug my TV while the proctor watched, and then I had to show him the end of the cord to prove it was disconnected.

I was wondering if anyone has had an internet issue taking the test online and if they had to retake? Any insight into that process and if we truly do have to repay for a fee due to a technical issue. Thanks!

Oh, I had not read that, thank you! So, so long as you are only viewing with one monitor you can do that?

1 Like

laptop cameras are NOT allowed

Hello, new to the community!

1 Like

I fear the added stress to prepare the online setting from home might be unnecessary if I have access to multiple testing centers close by, so I am curious to learn the hardships many have been experiencing and whether those might be experienced the first time only because of the unfamiliarity.

I was also concerned about internet speed. My home is rural so I only have 4/3G broadband internet service. Have there been reports that this will hinder my performance?

Ultra-Wide screen is not the best. Some questions will run in a single line across the whole width of the screen. In retrospect, I wish I had one large square-ish monitor.