Exit Signs

Hi,

So in this video:
https://blackspectacles.com/videos/emergency-and-alarm-issues-part-1
around 12:30, you mention that there is no rule about exit signs, but section 1013 of the IBC says no point can be more than 100 ft from the nearest visible exit sign.

I just wanted to share this thought with you.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hey @ridlby,

That’s interesting, I’ll look into it. Thank you for sharing this! If you’re right we’ll work on getting this corrected as quickly as possible, so I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Hi all, just wanted to chime in with thoughts. I think Mike’s comments were referring to more general rules on minimum number of exit signs based on construction/occupancy type rather than specific rules governing how far they need to be spaced. For example, if a corridor was 30’ long with one exit, only one sign would be needed, or in a private office, no signs are needed. I think the hope is that on the exam itself, candidates would know that there is no ‘minimum’ number of exit signs necessary if asked in a ‘true’ or ‘false’ scenario.

@ridlby, your thinking is right on! Being able to navigate the code for requirements is a crucial skill to have for passing the exams and in practice. Thanks for bringing this up; I’m hoping to see this integrated in Black Spectacles videos/questions.

4 Likes