Live Q&ARE w/ NCARB

got it thanks, sorry didnt mean to be pushy.

1 Like

Yes, we’re happy to try to answer as many questions as possible.

1 Like

No worries at all! Thank you.

1 Like

We continuously monitor the performance of the exams. Some changes are in planning to support the online proctoring of the ARE. Currently, the total number of questions asked will be decreasing. Due to that decrease, the cut score, the number of questions a candidate must answer correctly to pass, will also need to be adjusted. The change in cut score will not decrease the required level of competence needed to pass. The decrease in cut score will only reflect a decrease in the number of questions asked.

2 Likes

Yes of course! Please do!

1 Like

Posted above, but here goes again. I dont think this violates the rules, but if ti does, please remove it.

I took PjM around march and failed. I remembered i failed a lot of questions with diagrams/sections/plans . Without being explicit, how do you attack these questions? what should i think about in terms of PjM aspects to answer these questions? It seems a lot of prep materials do not prepare you with these kind of questions.

1 Like

I need to schedule a test before my seat credit expires in November 2020. If I schedule through Prometric for lets say February 2021 but by then the remote testing has started and I rather do the remote testing, will I be able to use/apply that seat credit that i scheduled trough Prometric already?

1 Like

Hi Miran! Thank you very much for your questions and letting us know about the difficulty you’re facing. Good news is that NCARB initially anticipated launching a remote proctoring option in early-2021, recent progress will allow for an earlier-than-anticipated launch of remote proctoring in late-2020. Be on the lookout for an announcement with additional details on online proctored delivery in the weeks ahead. As for a refund, candidates can request refunds by contacting NCARB customer service and identifying the ARE division they would like canceled. Upon verification of the refund request, candidates should expect the refund within seven days. Please call NCARB, and not Prometric, to see if this is an option for you.

1 Like

I’ve seen a couple of inquiries in this discussion relating to the some anomaly questions within the exam divisions, such as the one from vyan28. In my exams I see the same occurrence. Some questions seem completely alien to the subject. For PjM I had a couple of questions that are more at home in other divisions. Could you explain this? Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ll add to Bryan’s reply…
The check-in procedure for an online proctored exam will require candidates to provide valid proof of identification before proceeding with the evaluation of their test area. Upon verification of proper identification, candidates provide the proctoring agent a video review of their testing area to ensure a clean work area and no extraneous or suspicious devices in the room. The check-in procedure includes a revalidation of the technology in place to support the exam delivery. Once the testing area is approved and the system check is complete, the candidate has completed the check-in procedure and is released to the online proctor to begin their exam.

2 Likes

I agree with carlreev that there isn’t enough time to review and locate the pertinent material/info provided to answer correctly. My approach to the next time I take the PA exam will be more focused on test taking “techniques & strategies” as opposed to using knowledge of material studied and professional experience, just to make sure all questions have some answer. This will basically defeat the main purpose of taking these exams don’t you think? In the real world, which the license we are trying to obtain is for, we normally have adequate amount of time to obtain the information relevant to a given issue. Not expecting an infinite amount of time to take this exam, but maybe an additional 30-45 minutes is surely not unrealistic request.

5 Likes

Prometric has begun communicating that they are reinstating rescheduling fees beginning September 1, 2020. However, NCARB continues to waive ARE rescheduling fees indefinitely until further notice. Regardless of Prometric’s decision, NCARB will not charge candidates a fee to reschedule an existing appointment. Please contact our customer service directly to assist you with. Your seat credit will apply for either in person or remote proctoring once available.

1 Like

You can do it @clifford.marvin - we have faith in you! :grinning:

4 Likes

Load times for documents are built into the time to complete the exam. Remember each questions is worth 1 point. If you are not already doing this, I would focus on creating a plan on how to navigate through the test. For instance, answer the ‘easy’ questions first and then use your left over time to go through the questions taking more time.

2 Likes

Can NCARB please tell me what the reminder below means,it is on my record and I just want to know who needs to approve it? when I go ahead and click to schedule an exam it takes me to the Prometric website allowing me to schedule an exam so, I am confused what does this mean?

Accommodations Reminder

Reminder: Any Testing Accommodations must be approved prior to the scheduling of an exam appointment.

2 Likes

Hi - I will add to Bryan’s reply - you can get a seat credit. If you plan to take the exam in the future, you may want to consider that as an option.

1 Like

Hi there! Basically, this is a reminder that if you need to test with an accommodation, please contact NCARB first to be pre-approved. NCARB will need to “turn on” your accommodation prior to going to NCARB, in the case there is a time difference with you seat time.

1 Like

Hi! The ARE is a national exam. You do need to identify a state/jurisdiction to begin testing. You do not need to be in the same state though - you can take the exam at any approved testing location globally.

1 Like

PPD has the lowest pass rate and some test takers have had to retake this exam multiple times (including myself). How will NCARB tackle this issue? The score reports as another poster has stated does not help.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response, that’s great to hear! Is it possible to change the state/jurisdiction in between exams?

1 Like